Thursday, July 2, 2009

Wyoming Wyoming Wyoming....


Hello Family and Friends,



As you know, I have been given the opportunity of a lifetime to intern this summer with the GIS Department at the Grand Teton National Park. I have been dreaming of this moment ever since I heard about the opportunity back in February, and here I am!!!!






I arrived on Monday after a long drive - it was beautiful, but after 5 days on the road I was ready to arrive in Moose, WY. I approached the Grand Teton National Park at about 10:30 in the morning and I was in the park for mere moments before I had to pull off at one of the lookout points and just take it all in. I had never been to Wyoming, and had looked at images on the internet, but they did not do the mountains justice. The view is absolutely stunning.


It took a couple days to get the check-in process done, it shouldn't have, but there was a housing problem that grew with every hour, and my wonderful new boss had to put me up in her guest bedroom for my first night here. The head of housing got it all worked out and they placed me in my housing on Tuesday evening. That's the summarized version of a series of upsets, but in the end it all worked out, so that's all that matters!




Wednesday was my first day of work, it was a blast. I rode around the park taking sign inventory with one of my supervisors. It was a beautiful day and I got paid to drive around in one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen, hopping out of the truck from time to time to gps the coordinates and take a digital picture of the sign, and then hop back in the truck and continue on the roadtrip. It was amazing. I've posted the photo of me out working, I just can't believe I'm getting paid for this!!!




It is now Thursday evening and, believe it or not, I have a 3 day weekend that starts now, and I can't wait to get started! I plan on riding my bike, touring the park, taking pictures, listening to the sounds of silence, and appreciating every minute of every day that I am here.


I'll keep you posted, hope you're all doing well! Have a GREAT summer!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment