Friday, July 24, 2009

Camping, Mapping, Hiking and more.....

My time here in Wyoming is more than half over, I just can't believe it! I'm having fun though!!
This past week we went camping for 4 days with the GIS crew from Yellowstone to work together on utility mapping. It was fun, I learned a lot about utilities, we worked a little and played a lot -




On the way to meet the Yellowstone gang we saw a grizzly bear on the side of the road! I was very excited as this was my first since my arrival, during the trip we saw another one.






Anna, Janice, and Alex getting ready for dinner the first night -














After dinner, Alex talked Janice and I into taking a 10 mile drive down Grassy Lake Road, it's a really rough road out in the middle of nowhere - it was amazing, the sun was going down and by the time we got to the dam it was totally dark, that is when we found out we were almost out of gas, we took these photos wondering if we'd be sleeping in the car that night -







Lucky for Alex, we made it back and the gas light came on right as we were reaching our campground.











The next day we worked at Colter Bay: Andrew, Alex and I hung out on the dock while we waited for the rest of the crew to finish out a little hike they took. As you can see, it was a brutal day at work......







On Wednesday we went to Lewis Lake in Yellowstone to map utilities - we split up into teams and went to work! I was on Andrews team, before we got started we took a moment to take in the view of the lake, it was amazing!









Once we got started, we hiked up a hill to get to the water tower, here Andrew takes the coordinates while I take in the view.














On our last day we were done with our utilities so our boss gave us a trail mapping assignment - it was at Glade Creek Trail and here we go into the wild.....




















At our turn around point Anna decided to climb an old tree that had been burned in the forest fire - all fun and games til she came down covered in soot.....







There is still so much more to share, but I have 5 minutes left on my time here on the library computer and then I'm off to the airport to pick up my friend Richard who is visiting for the weekend. I'll post more in a few days!!!


Love, Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment